This activity was recommended by Classic 103'12. Here's what they said about the activity:
1. A short visualization exercise will be done with the class, with the lights switched off. I will ask them to close their eyes, take a few deep breaths and imagine their ideal class.
What would you like your class to be like? Bonded? Happy? Now that you have formed the image of your ideal class, think of how you as an individual can contribute to that ideal class. Think about how you can work towards that ideal class.
Now imagine it is already November, the end of your term as a Sec One. How has your class been? Have you had a great year with your classmates? Do you feel a sense of belonging to the class? Do you love your classmates?
2. Year Ones will be given 5 minutes to write a letter to their future selves:
1) Their aspirations and goals for the class for the year ahead, the person who they want to be
2) How they can accomplish these goals and steps they can take
3) Obstacles and challenges they foresee, and how they can overcome them.
3. Year Ones would be assured that these letters are highly confidential (put it in a box) and they will be returned the letters in the last session to review and reflect if they’ve accomplished their goals. Remind them that they will have to actively work towards these goals, instead of merely setting them. Ultimately, we’re here to help them, and in order to gain as much as they can from these sessions, they themselves must put their all and really reflect.